Monday, August 16, 2010

Honey...




We are very fortunate indeed to have a friend with bees :) As a result, we have lots of gorgeous honey, and an endless supply of beeswax for my kitchen apothecary


As yesterday was Sunday, and I just felt like we needed to move beyond porridge for breakfast, I made pancakes. And, surprisingly, they actually worked (eventually). 


I found a recipe for honey pancakes in issue 30 of Dish Magazine (it seems to be an ad for Arataki honey), and tweaked it just a little...by far the loveliest pancakes I've ever created.


Arataki Honey Pancakes (made with Rosco's awesome honey).
3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
50g butter
2 cups milk
rather a large glob of runny honey
2 1/2 cups flour
2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt


Beat egg yolks and sugar til pale & creamy. Melt butter and honey together (try not to eat it before it goes into the mixture...). Add melty mixture to egg yolk mixture & beat, keep beating whilst adding the milk in. Add sifted dry ingredients, keep on beating til well combined. Beat egg whites til stiff, fold in.


It took me three pans and eventually a sandwich press to cook my pancakes, so I hope you have a better pancake making pan than we do! The sandwich press was a surprising star though - I'll know where to start next time, and have a whole lot less washing up to do. 


Perfect with a cup of tea, especially if it's in a tiny cup like the one in the picture. You need to have about forty cups to make it a worthwhile tea drinking experience, but the cup & saucer just make me so happy ;)


PS - excuse the rubbish photo...totally the wrong time of day to take pictures in my lounge!

1 comment:

  1. Kath, I sent you my Great Grandmas recipie for pancakes the other day because there is no such thing as a bad pancake maker!!! I hope you got it, let me know if you didn't. They're the absolute BEST you'll ever try and they should work well replacing the sugar with honey otherwise have them the proper Canadian way - with real Maple Syrup :)

    ReplyDelete