Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wardrobe Wednesday...week two


Hmmm, with the camera disasters we've had around here Wardrobe Wednesday was quite the challenge this week! I'd forgotten just how kind & clever the pentax is, the way it balances light for you & minimises what you have to do to make a photo look good! 

Anyhow, out came the old canon, and without my lovely assistant working at home to be my photographer, I had to make do with the mirror shot. 

I made the dress a couple of years ago, when I was pre baby & of rather different proportions - luckily my hack sewing turned out to be a bonus, I'd made it from a pattern which was too big for me, and instead of taking it in in a sensible fashion, I just sewed up the side seams and made huge darts in the back. This made it exceptionally easy to enlarge - rip rip rip, done! No sewing involved! 

It's a really fantastic pattern, a 1960's simplicity one I found in an op shop :) I plan to make another soon, but I'll plan out my neckline alterations and actually buy some interfacing, in an attempt to be slightly less hack. 

In the first photo is something I've been wearing a whole lot this week, one small (large) boy! He's been a bit toothy and a bit grumpy, and chases me around the house with the mei tai until I attach him. We alternate between front & back carry, depending on the dangerousness of what I'm doing! (cooking - back, wandering around house - front, that sort of thing). 




Photo number two, me minus my kangaroo baby. Not the best view of the dress & I look a little crazy-eyed (so not good at this mirror portraiture! If I looked in the mirror I ended up wobbling the camera & blurring the picture!). 

I think the new camera should arrive today, thank goodness. However did I survive in the days when you needed to have some kind of skill to take a good photo! 

Happy Wardrobe Wednesday!

10 comments:

  1. Hack sewing!?! I wish I even knew how to sew my own clothes! I think you look beautiful, the dress is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous dress! I think you look beautiful. I'm too scared to make clothes for myself so I just make them for the kids. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. Glassons disappoints me. Back in the day all their stuff was made in NZ and it DID last forever! Now it's all made in China and the quality reflects that :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the print on your dress, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the dress i'm a fan of dresses too beautiful fabric

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!! I think it's meant to be craft fabric - it was given to me :)

    All the fabrics I see that I'd love to make dresses from are crafting fabrics, which makes them crazy expensive...I have to keep my eyes peeled for things I like that don't cost a million bucks (or anything, I prefer free!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yip, found it on the internet (my hack sewing meant the edge with the info about the fabric is still there, on the inside of the hem!) - it's quilting fabric by Ro Gregg for Northcott. The series is called Flower of the month, ooooh I would LOVE some more! So many pretty designs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love dresses. Nice fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute as dress...always nice when teemed with a baby - hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great dress and I love that Jarvis is such a fan of the meitai...I got too weak for such things, but I still heft Kaz around far too often.
    You inspired me...
    http://fionaeason.com/2010/08/25/wardrobe-wednesday/

    ReplyDelete